Subject: Re: ScreamerNet Questions
From: "Rob R." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 10:38:26 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 17 Jun 1994, Mark Thompson wrote:

> And when doing your cost comparisons, keep in mind that you will need a
> butt-load of memory on each of those PCs (32-64MB if you have a fair amount
> of scene complexity) and WinNT is going to eat about 12MB. With 32MB and a
> basic 486/66 times seven and a half, you have about $19K.
> %~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
> %      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
> % --==* RADIANT *==--   [email-masked]        Principal Graphics   %
> %      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
> %     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
> %                                                                          %
>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

	Well, how many mips does the Raptor put out?  Isn't it around 200
mips?  Intel chips are going through some price drops, and the price for 
a 486-66 motherboard w/CPU will only be around $400-$500 where they're 
currently $650 and up.  If I'm not mistaken the Pentium-100 will put out 
260 mips (I'll check on this though) and with those systems ranging 
around $5k, they look promising.

	-Rob						[email-masked]